Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Driving Test


The Driving Test

Jennie Fragale

            On a lovely Saturday afternoon in September just two weeks before my sixteenth birthday, my family and I went car shopping.  It was seventy degrees and partly cloudy; a perfect day for test driving vehicles.  It did not take long before we all agreed to purchase a standard black Chevy Cruze.  Because it was so close to my birthday, I considered it my car, but did not realize just how challenging it would be to not only learn to drive, but also to learn to drive a standard vehicle.  I think my parents secretly bought a standard on purpose so that I would not be able to drive it for a long time.

            The day I had long awaited for had finally arrived.  September 22, 2011 was my sixteenth birthday and I had school, but only until noon.  I was leaving early so that I could take my permit test.  As I was preparing to leave school, I had a big surprise waiting for me at the office.  My boyfriend had sent me three dozen roses!  I walked out the back door of the school with my roses in my hand only to find a gorgeous sunny day.  In addition, my mom was actually on time to pick me up.  The day was starting out spectacular.  I just hoped it would continue on the same path and that I would pass my driver’s permit test.

            As my mom and I traveled to St. Marys, I could not help but feel quite nervous.  I desperately wanted to breeze through my permit test with a passing score.  I had prepared for the test by studying the PA Driver’s manual online.  When we walked into the DMV, I felt very intimidated.  The men working at the desk seemed quite rude.  I brushed it off and sat down at the computer to begin my test.  At first I felt quite confident with the questions and my responses.  All of a sudden though a pop-up flashed on the screen to alert me that I had missed one question and had five questions left.  I could only miss two more questions in order to pass the test.  Of course, I began to get tense, but took a few deep breaths and kept plugging away.  Finally, I had completed the test and passed with only the one mistake.  After a twenty minute lecture on rules and regulations from one of the intimidating men, I had my driver’s permit in hand and we were free to leave.

            I was not able to drive home because we had the new standard car, but as soon as we arrived home; my dad took me driving in our truck.  My first driving experience was both interesting and thrilling.  Of course, my dad was a little nervous, but he tried to stay calm. As to be expected, I had a few obstacles to overcome.  One such obstacle was that I had to stay focused on the road, not on the people all around.  I wanted to wave to everyone that I saw, but quickly was told that was a big “NO NO” when first learning to drive.  Maintaining the low speed of twenty-five miles an hour through town was also challenging.  When my dad starting clearing his throat, I knew my speed must be too fast.  I would hit the brake and slow down accordingly.  I would have to say the most challenging skill for me to master was taking corners.  My dad would often hold his breath and try not to yell when I took corners way to wide.  At times, I think we were both scared for our lives.  As I progressed through my first driving lesson, we both did our share of yelling and laughing.  I truly enjoyed my first lesson, but quickly realized I oneeded many more.

            After several lessons with my dad, my mom decided to take me in the stick shift.  This was very challenging for many reasons.  Not only was I learning the simple skills of driving, but I was also trying to learn how to maneuver the gears and a clutch.  It got very complex.  I continually stalled out because I was unable to let the clutch out with ease while gently pressing on the gas petal.  It did not take long for us to realize I needed to take one thing at a time.  My mom and I concluded that I should stay with automatic vehicles at least until after I got my license and had a year or so of driving experience.

            Now that my mom had taken me to practice, she was concerned that my dad was too quiet during my driving lessons so she started to take me more often.  I liked how relaxed my dad was, but he did not know how to teach very well.  He was always on his phone either texting or talking to our relative, Mike Vandermortel.  My mom was very good at teaching, but she would get extremely excited at times and make me nervous. 

            My mom liked to take me driving in town where she thought we were the safest.  I did not like driving through town though.  There were too many stops and turns with children crossing everywhere.  It was very chaotic and it did not take long for the tension to build between us in the car.  I kept plugging away and made sure I was attentive to all that was going on around me. 

            Once I mastered the in-town driving, we hit the highway.  Of course, I made my mom nervous.  I do not think she was prepared for me to travel at a faster speed.  Seriously, I believe she wanted me to go twenty-five miles per hour in a fifty-five mile an hour zone!  She told me to always watch the cars coming toward us and keep an eye out for deer, bear or people.  We discussed what to do if I were to go off the side of the road a bit; I was to slowly make my way back on the highway and never jerk the car.  One time she had to yell at me to stay back further from the car ahead of us.  Overall, I did a good job for my first time on the highway and my mom even paid me a compliment.

            My mom got tired out and asked her dad, my grandpa, to start taking me for driving lessons.  So, now I was on my third teacher!  I was starting to get a major complex.  My grandpa had taught my mom to drive and the stories I had heard made me quite nervous.  My mom told me that she had never gone driving with him without coming home in tears.  She told me he always yelled at her.  In the end, it all worked out though because my mom is a pretty safe driver and she gives all of the credit to her dad. I had to give him a chance. 

            The day came for me to drive with my grandpa.  My grandpa insisted that I drive his car so now I had to get use to a different car and a different teacher.  We took off from my house and started a lesson.  My grandpa was extremely serious about driving.  He takes every precaution possible.  Even when there was no one on the road or around it he would yell “children!” just to see if I was paying attention.  He would yell at me if I went just a tiny bit over the speed limit.  He would say “watch your speed” at least twenty times a lesson.  At this point, I had driven through town and on the highway quite a bit, so my grandpa decided that it was time to get experience on twisty roads.  I felt nervous about this, but I tried to keep calm.  I drove across the bridge and headed up to the top of the mountain.  He was very informative when teaching me how to take sharp turns.  After a few lessons on the terrifying roads, I slowly started to master the sharp turns.  My grandpa was a strict, but excellent teacher.  After some time, my driving lessons became a lot calmer.  Driving became second nature to me. 

            Now that I could handle any type of road, my cousin, Malarie and I decided to take an adventure to our county’s “Top of The World.”  I drove on Suicide Hill to get to our destination.  Suicide Hill was extremely scary.  Guide rails are not provided on the steep dirt road.  After about thirty minutes on the dirt road, we arrived at “The Top of the World.”  The view was breathtaking.  You could see mountain tops for miles.  We took pictures then headed back to town.

             Finally, it was time to learn how to parallel park.  Malarie had me practice in my high school lot.  Parallel parking was one of the hardest tasks for me to master.  I failed at many attempts.  We even tried using cones.  I felt defeated.  After several tries, Malarie tried to explain the process differently.  I took a deep breath and kept tying.  At last, I succeeded!  We were both so excited! 

            Soon enough it was time to take my drivers test.  My parallel parking was better at this point, but still was not perfect.  My dad went with me to the DMV.  We pulled in then went inside and waited.  The workers were mean and miserable again and of course I felt very nervous and intimidated.  Eventually, it was time to take my driver’s test.  I was so incredibly nervous that it caused me to shake which was not helpful when I took the wheel.  The very first part of my test was the part I worried about the most.  I had to parallel park.  I was under pressure from this rude man.  I pulled out and went to Parallel Park.  I knew right away that I did not line the car up correctly.  I maneuvered as much as I possibly could, but I knew I was not in the lines.  The man got out of the car to take a look.  He came back with the embarrassing news that I had failed.  I felt silly for allowing myself to get so nervous, especially because I had practiced so much.  I knew how bad both of my brothers were going to make fun of me.  They both passed their tests the first time.  I decided to keep my failure a secret.  I was beyond embarrassed, but now I have to admit that it was a little funny. 

            I was not going to try again for a while.  I practiced for an extra three months.  My summer goal was to get my license.  Once July came I felt that I was fully prepared to take my test.  My mom took me this time and we went to Bradford because we heard the workers there were very kind.  When we arrived we were greeted with smiles and polite words, how refreshing.  I relaxed, took my test and finally became a licensed driver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment